I've become obsessed with the matcha, coconut & bergamot smoothie from Greecologies in Soho. Anytime I'm in the area, I can't help but stop in and grab one to-go. It's SO good and I really love the unique flavor profile, but it's also super healthy to boot. Matcha is an antioxidant powerhouse- the powdered green tea has 137 times as many antioxidants as regularly brewed green tea, and in my opinion tastes way better! Plus there are little chewy bits from the dried coconut throughout the smoothie which adds a nice chew-factor. I figured it was time I created my own Greecologies-inspired version at home, and the below recipe totally satisfies my craving for a tasty matcha smoothie. Bergamot oranges can be tricky to find, so I typically make it without. Alternatively, you can add 1/2 cup brewed Earl Grey tea or a couple drops of bergamot essential oil for a delicious twist. I love experimenting with various mix-ins and toppings as well, so feel free to play around with some of the combinations below to see what you like best!
Matcha Coconut Smoothie:
- 2 cups frozen bananas, sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 2 tsp matcha powder (I love Matchaful!)
- 1 cup greens
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp crystallized ginger
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ice, optional
- optional mix-ins: 1/2 cup Earl Grey tea, 2 drops bergamot essential oil, 2 Medjool dates, 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp spirulina
- optional toppings: 1 tbsp coconut flakes, 1 tbsp goji berries
Blend frozen banana, coconut milk, coconut water, matcha powder, greens, coconut flakes, crystallized ginger, and vanilla extract on high until thick and creamy. Feel free to add (any combination of) Earl Grey tea, bergamot oil, Medjool dates, frozen pineapple, cinnamon, or spirulina to the blender as well, and top with coconut flakes and/or goji berries, if desired. Makes 2 smoothies.